TURNERS FALLS, Mass. (WWLP) — The Turners Falls Fire Department is reminding residents that sky lanterns are illegal in Massachusetts.
Crews on detail at the Great Falls Harvest Fest Saturday night when they noticed a sky lantern was seen taking flight from the direction of Seventh Street. The sky lantern then came down quickly on top of a four story apartment building. The fire department investigated the incident as the lantern could have started a fire from the debris and leaves on the roof of the building.
The sky lantern was located and no damage was reported. According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, a memorandum from January 2015 prohibits the use of sky lanterns except by permit.
More from NEWS10:
- Two months after US withdrawal, some 300 Americans still in Afghanistan
- Sentence reinstated for man charged with stabbing as teenager
- Trucking company exec to plead guilty in fatal biker crash
- Longtime Watervliet educator, superintendent retires
- Lost hiker ignores ‘unknown’ cellphone calls from search and rescue team